BEFORE YOU LEAVE:
- Post Office: Give forwarding address.
- Change Accounts, Credit Cards.
- Subscriptions: Notice requires several weeks.
- Transfer funds, arrange check-cashing in new city.
- Arrange credit references.
- Notify company of new location and coverages:
- Life, Health, Fire and Auto.
- Gas, light, water, telephone, fuel, garbage.
- Get refunds on any deposits made.
- Laundry, newspaper, change-over of services.
MEDICAL, DENTAL, PRESCRIPTION HISTORIES
- Ask Doctor and Dentist for referrals; transfer needed prescriptions, eyeglasses, X-rays.
- Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
- Ask about regulations for licenses, vaccinations, tags, etc.
AND ON MOVING DAY:
- Carry enough cash or travelers checks to cover cost of moving services and expenses until you make banking connections in new city.
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself or use registered mail.
- Plan for transporting pets, they are poor traveling companions if unhappy.
- Carry travelers checks for quick, available funds.
- Let close friend or relative know route and schedule you will travel including overnight stops, use him or her as message headquarters.
- Double-check closets, drawers, shelves to be sure they ae empty.
- Leave all old keys needed by new tenant or owner with Realtor or neighbor.
AND AT YOUR NEW ADDRESS:
- Obtain certified check or cashier’s check necessary for closing Real Estate Transaction.
- Check on service of telephone, gas, electricity, water, and garbage.
- Check pilot light on stove, hot water heater, and furnace.
- Have appliances checked.
- Ask Mailman for mail he may be holding for your arrival.
- Have new address recorded on driver’s license.
- Visit city offices and register to vote.
- Register car within 5 days after arrival in state or a penalty may have to be paid when getting new license plates.
- Obtain inspection sticker and transfer motor club membership.
- Apply for state driver’s license.
- Register family in new place of worship.
- Register children in school.
- Arrange for medical services; Doctor, Dentist, Veterinarian, etc.